Instructions to Purchase Tickets in Calgary, AB
Users can ride Calgary Transit by using fares bought directly in the Transit app! You can buy single tickets or day passes, as well as use a Calgary myID account to purchase monthly passes.
Here’s what this article covers:
- Connecting to Calgary myID
- Buying Fares
- Using a Ticket
- Checking your Transaction History
- Managing your Payment Method
Connecting to Calgary myID
You can purchase single tickets and day passes with or without a Calgary myID account, but monthly passes require it.
- To sign into an existing Calgary myID account or create a new one, go to the settings menu by tapping the gear icon at the top left of the main screen.
- If you’re not signed into a Transit account, you can tap on the "Save stats and favorites" banner at the bottom of the page.
- Or you can tap the Calgary Transit tile and select the "Create account" option.
- This will bring up the sign-in menu. Select "Continue with Calgary myID" button to continue to Calgary myID’s website.
If you’re already signed in to a Transit account, you can connect to Calgary myID by following the steps to purchase a monthly pass.
- You can then scroll down and follow the steps to sign in to your existing myID account or create a new one.
Warning: If you are already signed in to an existing Transit account when connecting to a myID account, the myID account will be merged with the Transit one automatically. Any previously purchased tickets in your Transit account will be not be transferred to over once you link your myID account - you will see a pop-up message about this before continuing.
You can contact Calgary Transit to transfer any remaining fares from your previous Transit account to your newly linked myID account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 403-268-1969.
Buying a Ticket (Single Ticket and Day Pass)
- On the main screen, tap "Buy ticket".
- Choose your ticket type, accept the ticket rules and choose the number of tickets you need.
- Follow the steps to sign in to your Transit account or to create a new account.
- If you want to add more tickets to your purchase, you can either tap on the ticket type you just selected "Add another ticket".
- Tap "Proceed to payment" then "Place order".
- Choose to activate your ticket now or later.
Note: Single tickets and day passes can be purchased with or without a Calgary myID account.
Buying a Monthly Pass with myID
In order to buy a monthly pass in Transit, you will need a Calgary myID account that is connected to Transit.
You can connect to your myID account in Transit’s settings menu using the steps detailed above, but you can also connect to it during the process of buying a monthly pass.
Note: If you are already signed into an existing Transit account, you will not be able to sign into myID from the settings menu and will need to follow these steps to connect to myID.
- From either the ticket bar at the bottom of the main screen, or the Calgary Transit tile in the settings menu, tap "Buy ticket".
- Tap the "Monthly Pass" option, accept the ticket rules and choose the number of passes you need.
- You will then see a pop-up that prompts you to continue to the Calgary myID website.
- Scroll down and follow the steps to either sign in to your existing myID account or create a new one.
- If you’re not logged into your Transit account and you create a new myID account with the same email address as one you’re using in Transit, you’ll be prompted to link the accounts.
- After you’re connected to myID, you might be asked for you payment information before to continue to purchasing your pass. You can then tap "Proceed to payment" and "Place order".
- Choose to activate your ticket now or later.
Note: Passes for the upcoming month can be purchased as of 15th of the previous month, but you will not be able to activate them before the month begins.
- Warning: Tickets and passes bought through Transit using a myID account can be transferred to the My Fare app or vice versa, but note that doing so uses a device change credit. Users are currently limited to three (3) device changes per six-month period for security and fraud prevention reasons, so we suggest only using only one (1) device and one (1) app to access your fares.
- Any entitlements for reduced fare passes are managed by Calgary Transit. Please contact them for assistance with this: email@example.com or 403-268-1969. Be sure to have your account ID ready, which can be found when tapping the Calgary Transit tile from the profile menu in your settings.
- Deleting your Transit account does not delete your myID account, and deleting your myID account will not delete your Transit account. You will need to contact Calgary Transit to delete your myID account, and you can delete your Transit account from the settings.
- If you purchase multiple passes for the same month in one transaction, they will not roll over to the following month. Monthly passes are only valid for the month they were purchased for.
Using a Ticket
- Tap the gear icon at the top left of the main screen.
- Under "My tickets" section, choose the pass or ticket you want to use and tap "Activate". Make sure to only activate shortly before you board!
- To activate multiple tickets, tap "Activate Ticket" for each one individually. When you show your pass, you'll be able to switch between all activated tickets.
- When you board, tap "Show" to display the activated pass to the driver using your phone.
- If you have multiple activated tickets, you can tap the arrows at the bottom of the screen to switch between all your passes. You can also tap "Details" at the bottom right of the screen to check the expiration of your ticket, along with other useful information.
Pro-tip: Although the purchase of a ticket requires you to be online, you may activate a purchased ticket offline.
Checking your Transaction History
Within Transit, you can see the past 6 months of your transaction history: the tickets you've paid for, the ones you used and the ones waiting for you to use them!
- Tap on the gear icon in the top left of the main screen.
- Scroll down to find your agency under the "My memberships" section.
- Tap "Transaction history".
- Here, you can switch between the tabs to either see all account activity, or see just your used or unused tickets.
Managing your Payment Method
- After choosing your tickets, tap the "Payment method" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap "Manage".
- You can then delete your card by tapping the bin icon or you can tap "Enter a new payment card" to replace the current one. If you choose to enter a new card, note that the previous one will be deleted as we can only store one card at a time.