Use on-demand services with Transit
On-demand services or microtransit is a form of public transportation that is used as a convenient connection to frequent fixed-route services, or on it's own. New to microtransit? Don't worry! While a new mode of transportation can be overwhelming, Transit makes it simple. Just follow these steps and you'll be on your way to better mobility!
Here's what this article covers:
- Using on-demand services from the main screen
- How to plan a trip using on-demand services in Transit
- Troubleshoot on-demand issues
- Where is on demand offered?
Using on-demand services from the main screen
1. Look for the on-demand service in your Nearby list. Note that the on-demand card is separate from the ridehail card.
2. Tap Request ride:
3. You will be directed to the service picker screen, where you will be able to request your ride by tapping on Request ride.
How to plan a trip using on-demand services in Transit
1. Plan your trip as you usually would. If your trip is eligible for on-demand, you will see it in your trip results.
2. Tap on the trip you want to take to bring you to the trip details page:
3. Tap Request On-Demand Service. This will redirect you to your agency's on-demand app where you can book the ride.
Troubleshoot on-demand problems
⚠️ My trip doesn't give me an on-demand option
This option may not be available for your trip. There are many possible reasons for this: maybe the trip is too far, or maybe the fixed routes in your area serve you better. On-demand service operates based on zones – if you're not getting results, it could be because your origin and/or destination are not in compatible zones.
⚠️ Fare issues
Fares are managed by your local agency, so it's best to contact them with any specific questions.
Where is on-demand offered?
- Durham Region, ON: DRT On Demand
- Edmonton, AB: Edmonton On Demand
- Gatineau, QC: STO à la demande
- Milton, ON: Milton Transit OnDemand
- Los Angeles, CA: Metro Micro
- Salt Lake City, UT: UTA on Demand by Via
- St. Louis, MO: Via Metro STL